My Hometown

Here are some pictures of Warren, PA., the town Warren and I grew up in. It's a beautiful little town, nestled amongst the Allegheny National Forest. The housing market is very depressed right now, so when I see the prices that some of these huge, old houses and commercial buildings are going for, it makes me want to buy them up and do something with them. I quickly get snapped back to my senses, but I wouldn't mind having one or two of these gems!

The following two pictures are of the elementary school that we went to. Unfortunately, it is no longer in use, and will most likely be demolished within the next couple of years. Even my Mom went to this school, so it's very sad to see these great old buildings going to waste!













We spent a little time yesterday walking around downtown. We were raised here, but never paid any attention to the great architecture of the buildings.
We used to go to movies at the Library Theatre, but now it's used for live performanaces. The Sound of Music will be showing this week.....unfortunately we'll miss it!

Here are a few more pictures that I took around town.





Comments

roxanestoner said…
I love your hometown as you know. I am right with you in thinking that it needs a revival. Only few people to invest in the future of Warren. It can't be it. It makes me sad that your school is not going to be there anymore. Sometimes things don't make sense at all. For me seeing Warren was like seeing a little utopia of what I thought perfect American Towns were.
Sue said…
hahaha. Yeah, I hated it when the consolidated the schools. My daughter is in 4th grade at the new Warren Area Elementary, and I'm missing it when she went to Pleasant.

They've been trying to revive Warren for years, but so long as the Republican Bureaucrats rule, we might not see the headway as planned. I sigh when I hear folks around town say "At least we have a Walmart now."

Nice pictures!
Sue said…
Oh.. you went to Home street? I think that's home street.. or.. Man. I went to Lacy before they shut it down, then South Street, then I was the second fifth grade class to hit Beaty. Ugh. Okay, shutting up now. Enjoy your new surroundings!
Nancy said…
Yes, that's Home Street School. Such a great old building. I just hate the fact that it will be torn down. I hope someday downtown Warren will be as bustling as it was when I was growing up there. It's sad to see it so depressed. Glad you enjoyed the pictures!

Popular Posts