Ukrainian Eggs

Warren and I paid a visit to some friends of ours the other day. Cleo was showing me some fabric grocery bags and aprons that she has been busy making as Christmas presents. I'm not sure how we got on the subject of eggs, but she pulled out a few beautiful Ukrainian eggs that she had made. I asked her if I could take a picture, and she took me into her work room, where she had dozens of these beautiful eggs neatly placed in clear egg cartons. The colors and intricate designs are just gorgeous.

The technique seems a bit like batik, as you wax out any part of the egg that you don't want dyed. The egg gets dyed, then you continue to wax areas that you want to remain that color. You continue the wax/ dye procedure, going in progressively darker colors. Once you are done with the waxing and dyeing, you melt the wax off, revealing the colors that were protected underneath. They are just stunning! I have made one Ukrainian egg in my life.....way back in high school Russian Club.....it sure didn't look like these!

Comments

Popular Posts